Valentine Caterpillar Paper Kit - 2024
Let's make some Valentines! Collage work is so much fun, but can be daunting if you don't have collage materials at the ready. I've got you covered!
Why is my hand-painted Caterpillar Paper the best collage material?
- Light as a feather and adhesive melts into it beautifully. No heavy glues or pastes needed.
- Doesn't fade or bleed like tissue paper.
- Made with rice, bamboo pulp, artist-grade paint, and water. No junky acidic stuff you find with digitally printed materials.
It's taken me a long time to figure out the right ratio of paper and paint to make them. Now, I want to share this paper with you so you can level up your homemade Valentine game!
I'm sure you will have plenty of ideas of how to use the materials in your kit, but in case you want a few more, I also put together three mini-tutorials that I am delighted to share with you.
Each Kit Includes
- 20ish pieces of Caterpillar Paper - hand painted rice paper (every kit will have a different variety of colors). Each set is slightly different. When this collection sells out it will never be available again.
- 5 pages of black and white laser-printer illustration patterns (handwriting, sheet music, stripes, etc.)
- A handful of doilies, stickers, and other collage fodder.
- One year access to three mini-tutorials showing how I like to use my collage materials to make Valentines. These tutorials are under 5 minutes long and designed to give ideas. I hope to add more in the future!
- One year online access to the Resource Library of Printable Goodies - PDFs of black and white collage fodder you can print at home. Many of them are my own personal drawings, all of them are open-source or out of copyright (read: you can print and use in your artwork without worry).
What you will need to provide to make the art I share in the three mini-tutorials:
- Adhesive (white glue, Mod Podge, or matte medium).
- Wide brush or plastic credit card (to apply the adhesive).
- Substrate (blank cards, art quality paper, cardboard, canvas, etc).
- Permanent markers. Pencils, paint markers, or crayons would also be fun but are optional.
I'd love to see what you create! Share your work using #caterpillarpaper. If you have questions, email me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does this work?
When you purchase this kit two things will happen...
1. An envelope with the kit materials will be sent to you. (Sorry friends - no PO boxes or non-US addresses this time.)
2. An email will be sent to you within 24 hours with link and login information so you can view the mini-tutorials for inspiration on how to use your kit online. This link also takes you to the Resource Library of Printable Goodies. You will have access to the mini tutorials and printables for one full year!
The email used in checkout is the one that will get access to the mini-tutorials (so if you have taken a class with me before, try to use that same signup email). You'll receive tutorial access within 24 hours after purchase and your kit will be shipped soon!
- Is this a gift? If you are buying as a gift, please use the desired shipping address, and email email@example.com with the email address of the gift recipient and I will update tutorial access.
- No refunds or returns. Goods are one of a kind and all sales are final - I appreciate your understanding!
- Kits may vary. While contents of each kit are comparable, exact items and quantities may vary slightly - that's the nature of a handmade business!
Why is is called Caterpillar Paper?
I learned about making art from painted tissue paper from Eric Carle - you may know him as the author and illustrator behind The Very Hungry Caterpillar. It was a five minute lesson but it changed my life. My materials and results have evolved over the years, but I'm still chasing the look of the vibrant, happy green caterpillar. We have many of his books and my kids read one before bed almost every night. They like the stories, but I'm all about the collage illustrations!